Find your next great job
A daily email of jobs matching your skills and preferences.
Sign Up 👋
Site Reliability Engineer (166) at Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. (allows remote)
Posted almost 2 years ago
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer! Would you like to join the highly dynamic team responsible for the reliability and performance of a global top-10 website — Wikipedia? You would join the Search Team, where we build the infrastructure for search and discovery of Wikipedia content. We are working on Open Source, JVM / Linux based stacks (Elasticsearch, Wikidata Query Service).
We are searching for people with a drive to explore, experiment, and learn new technologies. Do you enjoy eliminating boring things from your daily workflow by automating them? Are you comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented, open environment and as part of a globally-distributed team? Then you might be just the person we need.
- Performing day-to-day operational and DevOps tasks on Wikimedia’s public facing infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Implementing and utilizing configuration management and deployment tools (Puppet, Kubernetes)
- Assisting in the architectural design of new services and making them operate, at scale
- Monitoring of systems, services and service clusters, optimization of performance and resource utilization
- Assisting in or leading incident responses, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
- Sharing our values and working in accordance with them
- 3+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience with managing geographically distributed, highly available, high-traffic infrastructure based on JVM / Linux
- Working understanding of garbage collection, Java logging frameworks and JMX
- Comfortable with Open Source configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.)
- Experience with the use, and configuration of, monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (Icinga/Nagios, Prometheus, Grafana, Graphite, Logstash/Kibana, etc.)
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Comfortable with managing remotely bare-metal servers and virtualized environments
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Strong English-language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Track record of open source contributions is a major plus
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with graph databases
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
- Example projects
These are some of our upcoming projects you might be working on soon…
- Upgrade a multi-terabyte Elasticsearch cluster to the next version of software, without any impact to our users (or uptime)
- Scale our graph database (Wikidata Query Service) to more than 10 billion triples
- Help define a hardware procurement strategy to grow our Elasticsearch clusters
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
A new window will open to the job source site.
Job research tailored to you.
Growing a career that's right for you is a life-changer, but it's undeniable that the job search
gets tougher every year. With automated hiring processes, resume filters and questionable interview practices,
finding a job that a tech skillset has become seriously challenging.
That's where we step in. Careeriscope can help lighten the stress load by making your search a bit easier. We
help you find matches based on the job search criteria you set, then send a summary of the results in a daily
email sent every morning for review.