Find your next great job
A daily email of jobs matching your skills and preferences.
Sign Up 👋
Senior Software Engineer (Release Engineering) at Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. (allows remote)
Posted about 2 years ago
Senior Software Engineer
Come join the Wikimedia Foundation’s Technology department! In this role you will be a technical collaborator for the Release Engineering Team. You’ll be joining the team that provides the development, testing, and deployment experience for all of our internal staff and external volunteer engineers.
Release Engineers care about the intersection of the developer experience and site reliability for Wikipedia, our other sites, and third party users of our open source platform, MediaWiki. Our team works remotely and so can you!
The Release Engineering team is a part of the larger Engineering Productivity group at the Wikimedia Foundation, with expertise on everything from testing practices to web performance.
- Deploy all 936 (as of Oct 2019) wikis, including Wikipedia
- Work towards improving the automation of our deployment process
- Move us towards continuous delivery
- Lead the effort on container-based tooling for MediaWiki application development and automated deployment
- Maintain Release Engineering production systems for our large developer user base (deployment, continuous integration, issue tracking, and code review)
- Integrate developer tooling into our continuous delivery pipeline
- Be a role model for effective and collaborative engineering practices
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Sufficient proficiency in both written and verbal communication in English to be understood in an asynchronous work environment
- Technical leadership experience
- Collaboration and consensus-making skills are as, if not more, important as technical skills
- Significant professional experience with systems/devops engineering and software
- Significant professional experience with continuous integration/deployment systems
- Professional experience with server configuration management software (professional experience with Puppet is a plus)
- Experience with virtualization or container technologies
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Professional experience with one or more of the following: Python, Go, PHP, Java
- Free culture/Free software experience
- Remote work experience
- You are inspired by our guiding principles and our mission
- Professional experience working with legacy software systems
- Familiarity with/involvement in the Wikimedia movement
- Located within the UTC-3–UTC+8 time zones for easier alignment with existing team mix
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation
A new window will open to the job source site.
Job research tailored to you.
Growing a career that's right for you is a life-changer, but it's undeniable that the job search
gets tougher every year. With automated hiring processes, resume filters and questionable interview practices,
finding a job that a tech skillset has become seriously challenging.
That's where we step in. Careeriscope can help lighten the stress load by making your search a bit easier. We
help you find matches based on the job search criteria you set, then send a summary of the results in a daily
email sent every morning for review.