FindHotel: Senior Backend Engineer (Golang/Elixir)
Posted almost 2 years ago
, we discovered early that travel is the one thing that opens people's minds to new ideas, cultures, and ways of thinking. Our team comes from a variety of countries and backgrounds, and share the same passion for traveling and discovering new worlds and unconventional ways of doing things. We're a bunch of independent thinkers, always looking to challenge each other and get better at what we do.
is to get every traveller in the world the best accommodation deal. From adventure and backpacking to honeymoons and family vacations, we give travellers access to all the information and the available offers for their accommodation of choice. We're a passionate and diverse
team of amazing humans who value and respect each other. We're spread between our HQ in Amsterdam and the countries our remote folks work from. We're growing
fast! In 2017 and 2018 we've been doubling our business year-over-year, and we've been helping one million customers in 2019 alone.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team. Although this is a remote role, we'll need you to be located within UTC-4 to UTC+6 to reasonably overlap with your team members.
At our core, we build highly performant, scalable and reliable services and components. We work with modern technologies such as Go and Elixir - and, as we embrace the DevOps culture, our infrastructure-as-code in the cloud (AWS) is managed and run using tools like Docker, Jenkins, and Terraform. You will be a part of a squad of bright engineers with a passion for delivering great software, as well as team members from a broader range of disciplines - data analysts and scientists, product owners, UX experts, and marketing specialists.
What you will actually be doing / responsibilities
- Work in a team to solve challenging problems, integrating accommodation providers and building blazing-fast services that serve their data
- Identify bottlenecks and opportunities for improvements in terms of performance and code quality
- Help improving our infrastructure and scale it to support our continuous growth in a cost-effective way
- Support the growth of junior and intermediate engineers by coaching them in their daily tasks, as well as raising the bar of how things are done within both your team and the bigger engineering group
What can you expect at the beginning of this experience?
- In your first week, you will get acquainted to the squads, its codebase and the tooling, with the goal of shipping something to production and build confidence early on;
- In your first month, you will get to know more people from the other squads and disciplines, in order to understand the foundation of the business and the various bits it is made of;
- One quarter in, you will be effectively an active member of your squad and your teammates will fully count on you; you will have built meaningful relationships within the company and be comfortable discussing ideas, inside and outside of your squad's scope; ideally, you will have presented a topic you are fond of in one of our internal knowledge sharing sessions and/or demoed some work the team did during our weekly all-hands meeting
Typical day activities
- Team sessions (with your fellow engineers and PO) to check data and brainstorm ways to improve several services performance and design scalable solutions
- Solve open issues that affect component infrastructure reliability
- Propose and discuss with fellow engineers efficient solutions for components and architectural design.
Who we're looking for:
- You are used to work and think outside of the box, and not afraid to present unconventional ideas and solutions.
- You have at least 6 years experience in back-end development using a modern set up and tooling
- You have a great understanding of APIs, databases, data structures, queues, and all things back-end, with a strong passion for automation
- You have worked on a production system that was exposed to significant scale (whether traffic or amount of data) and you are excited by these kinds of challenges
- You have a sense of pragmatism, constantly finding the right balance between achieving technical excellence and delivering value to the end users
- You are flexible, curious, and data-guided in helping us decide what to work on next
- You engage with your team and all the engineering group actively, sharing knowledge and best practices in order to improve with them every day
- You have production experience working with AWS and you have taken care of CI / deployments / infrastructure in the past
- Production experience with Golang or Elixir is a big plus
- Experience with Terraform is a nice to have
What we offer:
- Challenging problems and tech to work on.
- Growth opportunities within the team and cross-functionally.
- An amazing team of curious and diverse personalities, with a passion for learning (everyone has access to an annual learning budget to attend conferences or courses).
- A growing Remote culture where you have a chance to deeply influence the way we work with each other.
- A competitive compensation package and Stock Appreciation Rights.
- Flexible time off (take as many holidays as you need) and a chance to work remotely - we measure results, not time spent at keyboard.
- Annual company retreat in some great location - check out our Mallorca trip in 2019
- Regular trips to Amsterdam's HQ (depending on team priorities, 1-4 times a year)
To apply: https://careers.findhotel.net/o/senior-backend-engineer-remote
A new window will open to the job source site.