Density Inc.: Data Engineer
Posted about 2 years ago
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
To our future Data Engineer
, we build one of the most advanced people sensing systems in the world. The product and infrastructure is nuanced and one-of-a-kind. Building this product for scale has been an exercise in patience, creativity, remarkable engineering, laser physics, global logistics, and grit. The team is thoughtful, driven, and world-class.
Why this is an important role
Last week our deployed DPUs
detected a million humans walking through doors. A number that increases every week.
As engineers, we think it's pretty cool to be capturing events at this volume. Especially when it's done anonymously, accurately, and in real-time. Our customers, however, are interested in what happens after these events enter our system.
Density is deployed globally, servicing a variety of use cases, by some of the largest companies in the world. Here are just a few examples. A leading cloud storage company is using Density to strengthen their physical security by detecting unauthorized access. A marquee hotel brand is using Density to measure lounge occupancy and dynamically deliver world-class service. An international telecom is using Density to better design and optimize their real estate portfolio.
These use cases may seem disparate, but a common thread holds them together. They all share the need for real-time and ongoing data analysis. And that's where you come in.
Our systems must efficiently and reliably:
- Update current counts and analytics whenever a relevant event occurs, for every impacted space,
- Publish the information to low-latency receivers via webhooks and websockets,
- Alert and notify as appropriate through SMS, email, and push notifications, and
- Aggregate events into analytics used for dashboards, forecasts, and fleet management.
Turning millions of events into actionable insight is a nuanced dance. Are you up for the job?
This role reports to our Director of Engineering.
What you'll work on
- Scale event ingestion pipelines requiring high availability and real-time data processing/delivery.
- Store, optimize, and deliver analytical data via a RESTful API.
- Backend development on internal and customer facing projects, utilizing Python, Django, and NodeJS.
- Refine APIs and data delivery mechanisms for applications such as web dashboards, alerting & health systems, mobile applications, and third party integrations
- Work closely with DevOps to monitor inefficiencies and improve infrastructure
- React to customer needs and feedback through tight-looped, iterative development
- Contribute to open source initiatives
- Document and teach best practices across our stack
What we're looking for
- 5+ years industry experience building and scaling web applications and APIs
- Deep experience with stream processing systems (i.e. Kafka)
- Experience writing ETL pipelines on a cloud infrastructure (AWS)
- Deep experience with Python, Django / DRF, and Postgres
- Experience building data-centric applications, including analytics pipelines, report generation systems, and alerting & health systems
- An understanding and appreciation for application performance monitoring and profiling tools
- A desire to define, document, and teach web engineering standards
- Strong writing skills, especially with crafting clear and concise documentation
- A motivation for constant learning
Icing on the cake
- Experience with statistical analysis and trend data modeling
- A deep appreciation for design
- A strange obsession with counting people (or what you can do with the resultant data)
While we have offices in Syracuse (NY), San Francisco, and NYC, we embrace and have built a culture around remote work.
To apply: https://jobs.lever.co/density/5ef99a03-2c9a-4fc2-9752-5c4e3c973762/apply?lever-source=weworkremotely
A new window will open to the job source site.